St Michaels Church, Church Street, Madeley, Telford, Shropshire, TF7
- 01952 585718 / 01952 567280
A walk round the churchyard of St. Michael’s, Madeley
St. Michael’s is a large churchyard and contains one of the best collections of cast-iron tombs in the country as well as a number of individual monuments of particular interest. The older graves can be found in the upper section which closed in 1979 although new burials continued to be made there until the early 1990s. The oldest marked grave dates from 1686 (no.8) but many older burials must lie in unmarked plots. The lower section was opened in the 1860s although most of the memorials there are much more recent. Some unsafe gravestones were removed in the 1960s.
In 1832 a cholera epidemic resulted in the mass burial of a number of victims and the pit in which they were interred is believed to underlie the grassy area to the front of the church. A number of the memorials near to the church commemorate distinguished local residents many of them connected with the iron industry e.g. the tomb of iron founder Walter Parker (no.30) which is at the right-hand entrance to the churchyard leading from Church Street.
St. Michael’s churchyard offers a tranquil home for a surprising variety of wildlife. The leaflet or pdf details some of the birds, plants and insects you may well see in the churchyard.
A pdf of the self-guided trail is available here to download, or a booklet can be obtained for a very reasonable charge from Jubilee House.